General Talks and Guest Lectures
- Ecology of Deep Sea Hydrothermal Vents in Manus Basin – Guest lecture at the University of Papua New Guinea
- The Art of Brewing Beer – Duke University Marine Lab – Mostly Marine Informal Science Seminars (MMISS)
- Science Blogging – Duke University Marine Lab – MMISS
- Sailing by Starlight: the lost art of celestial navigation – Duke University Marine Lab – MMISS (transcript and slides can be found here)
- The changing landscape of science blogging – Duke University Marine Lab – MMISS
- Adventures in open source ROV’s – MMISS
Nature Walks and Day Cruises
- Lead small (10 – 30 people) groups of students on day and night walks around the Rachel Carson Marine Estuarine Reserve, highlighting the terrestrial and benthic fauna of the area.
- Ship naturalist on the R/V Susan Hudson for small groups of students, identifying organism from dredges and trawls of coastal and off-shore ecosystems.
- DNA self-extraction mini-lab – 30 minute program to teach sixth, seventh, and eighth graders about DNA and genetics by having them extract and precipitate their own DNA.
- Experience ROV – demonstration of small, open source ROV’s, allow students of any level to pilot robots in marine environment.